Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:07:16 -0600 (CST)
From: Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>
To: Jeremy Epstein <jepstein@...methods.com>
Cc: php-wars@...testar.linuxbox.org, botnets@...testar.linuxbox.org,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: defacements for the installation of malcode

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jeremy Epstein wrote:
> There was also a really entertaining presentation from Patrick Petersen of
> IronPort at RSA, in which he mentioned use of defaced web sites as proxy
> forwarders for spammers.  According to the presentation, the spammers have a
> fairly sophisticated toolkit that takes over the site and turns it into a
> pharmacy (or whatever) redirect site.  A different goal from the Websense
> presentation, but still a purpose other than simple defacement.

Indeed. I can post some screenshots of some of these tools if you are
interested in them.

Anon remailers, spam tools, etc. More and more spam is being sent using
web servers.

I am looking for someone to volunteer to create spam assasin rules based
on how these tools send mail.

You can find my writeup and link to article on this subject here:
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/815

	Gadi.