Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:22:50 -0500
From: Edsel Adap <edsel@...p.org>
To: Nate Eldredge <nge@...hmc.edu>
Cc: Michael Wojcik <Michael.Wojcik@...rofocus.com>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Solaris telnet vulnberability - how many on your network?

Nate Eldredge wrote:
> I have now set up a virtual Solaris 8 box to test this with root access,
> and it appears you are correct.  When run as root, "login -f root"
> presents a login prompt, just like login without arguments.  So it is
> not "supported" in the sense of having the Solaris 10 documented behavior.

I tested this as well on a Solaris 8 box.  I did not get the behavior
you described.

# uname -a
SunOS skyhawk 5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100
# /bin/login -froot
Not on system console

As you can see, it did not prompt me for a password.  Obviously the -f
option is recognized and its semantics are implemented.

However telnet could not be used to exploit it in the same was a Solaris
10 was exploited.

> Using "strings" to look at the getopt option list reveals that an
> undocumented "-a" option also exists.  I don't know what it does,
> either. More material for the backdoor conspiracy theorists, I suppose.
> Fortunately there doesn't appear to be a "-nsakey" option.

As far as the -a option, it does not do anything.  The OpenSolaris
source says:

case 'a':
    break;

I'm guessing that this behavior is left over from the older versions of
Solaris.

--
Edsel Adap
edsel@...p.org