Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:45:25 -0500
From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger@...neretcs.com>
To: "Thierry Zoller" <Thierry@...ler.lu>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Cc: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Solaris telnet vulnberability - how many on your network?

Fun ole exploit.

Of course, it doesn't have to be C's. I use numbers 1-9 and 0, repeated
so its easier to count 64 characters. It can be nearly any character, as
long as you have the spaces in between. It doesn't even have to be 64
characters all the time, but it normally has to be 64 or slightly more.
I've even messed up on the end portion, putting a / slash instead of a
backward slash, because I'm a Windows guy of course. It works every time
the way it is said below (with any character) though, but it is
forgiving at times. I've taugh this exploit hundreds of times to
students in Foundstone's Ultimate Hacking Expert class, and most
students mess it up the first time and it still often works. And of
course, you can use root if root is not prevented from doing remote
telnet logons.

Note, however, if you mess it up the first time, exit all the way back
out of telnet, and get back in, to begin again.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, Senior Security Consultant
*Microsoft Application Consulting and Engineering (ACE) Services
*http://blogs.msdn.com/ace_team/default.aspx
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger@...neretcs.com or rogrim@...rosoft.com