Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:32:42 +0300
From: 3APA3A <3APA3A@...URITY.NNOV.RU>
To: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	"Roger A. Grimes" <roger@...neretcs.com>,
	"Tim" <tim-security@...tinelchicken.org>,
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re[2]: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft Windows Vista/2003/XP/2000 file management security issues

Dear Thor (Hammer of God),

 You are wrong at least for Windows XP/2003. There is a common temporary
 directory

 %WINDIR%\Temp

 It's  used  as a %TEMP% if application is launched without local logon,
 e.g. system service.

 For  example, services launched with LocalSystem account will have this
 environment variables:

SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService

 You  can  find  it's really used, because it's never empty. I see, e.g.
 files  related  to  different  Intel  drivers,  VMWare,  Microsoft .Net
 framework, Exchange and Sharepoint.

 Also,  I  remember  I  had  problems with securing ABN AMRO Bank client
 software installation, because it uses %WINDIR%\Temp for some reason.

 And now is most exciting: Users have permission to create files in this
 directory, that is pre-open attack is possible.