Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 22:50:40 +0100
From: Tim Brown <timb@...-dimension.org.uk>
To: 3APA3A <3APA3A@...urity.nnov.ru>
Cc: news@...uriteam.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Medium security hole affecting DSL-G624T

On Thursday 03 May 2007 22:13:15 3APA3A wrote:

> This  vulnerability  for  D-Link  DSL-G624T was already reported by Jose
> Ramon Palanco. See
>
> http://securityvulns.ru/Odocument816.html
>
> Previously, same problem was reported for D-Link DSL-G604T by Qex
>
> http://securityvulns.ru/Mdocument578.html
>

> There were also few more problems reported about /cgi-bin/webcm, see
>
> http://securityvulns.ru/Idocument664.html
> http://securityvulns.ru/Idocument759.html

I quite agree, the Summary of my attached advisory makes this point.  However,
as I also point out in the Solutions section, all of the issues you list were
against major version 1 of the firmware.  We're now at major version 3 and
directory traversal is still a problem.  Moreover, the advisories that cover
directory traversal (http://securityvulns.ru/Mdocument578.html and
http://securityvulns.ru/Mdocument578.html) only talk about /etc/passwd.
Neglecting the fact that the web server runs as root and that /etc/shadow is
therefore available.

Secondly, the Javascript injection issue describe is as far as I
know /entirely new/.  It's not a short walk to the point where these two
issues alone could be use to compromise devices, irrespective of the firmware
issues you also link to.

Maybe, I'm hoping that by version 10 of the firmware in the year 2014, D-Link
may actually manage to fix some of these reported problems?  Moreover, maybe
they'll actually make it possible for researchers to report these things in a
manner whereby they actually respond to the reports when contacted.  Not
holding my breath though.

Tim
--
Tim Brown