Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:30:49 -0600
From: "M. Burnett" <mb@...o.net>
To: "'Arthur Corliss'" <corliss@...italmages.com>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: VMWare poor guest isolation design

You are correct that this isn't an issue for everyone and you are correct
that this isn't an issue if reasonable security practices are employed. On
the other hand, most security issues reported here wouldn't be issues if
reasonable security practices were employed. I have been saying that for
years.

Because it does not apply to your particular environment doesn't invalidate
the issue. There are many, many situations where someone would want to
access a vmware guest via the console and not allow any network access at
all. One that comes to mind is an offline root CA that you can only fire up
only when you need it--a virtual offline machine. Another situation for
myself is I keep all my hacking/pen-testing tools on a vm that I can use
when I need them, and quickly move to any vm host I need to run them on. I
don't necessarily want to make that virtual machine accessible from the
network. Anyway, it is absurd to say you will never log in to the console,
sometimes you just have to.

Whether it affects you personally or not, it certainly is helpful to know
that the capability exists so you can make better informed security
decisions--and that there is an undocumented switch to disable that feature.

Addressing some other points:

> If the host OS (or an account within it) is compromised,
> of course all bets are off when it comes to a virtual machine running
> within it.

This isn't completely true. Yes, it is much more difficult to secure a
virtual machine that way, but it can be done. You could, for example, use
full disk encryption to prevent someone from mounting a virtual disk outside
the guest OS. Besides, I concede that point in my article, emphasizing that
an automated attack increases the seriousness of the problem.

> Furthermore, this attack only works if you are running the vmware guest
> utilities *and* you are currently logged into a GUI desktop running the
> vmware userland process.

VMWare constantly reminds you that you don't have the vmware guest tools
installed. I'd say that most people do install them. But that doesn't matter
anyway because you can just use the VIX API function VixVM_InstallTools to
install them if they aren't already there.

And you do not need to be logged in, the VIX API allows you to wait until
the command actually runs. So it can just sit there until the next time you
do login to the console.

Mark Burnett
http://xato.net

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (2805 bytes)