Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:42:40 -0400
From: "Ken Kousky" <kkousky@...inc.com>
To: "'Arthur Corliss'" <corliss@...italmages.com>,
	"'M. Burnett'" <mb@...o.net>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: VMWare poor guest isolation design

This may be far off course but with all the discussions of VMWare  as a safe
sandbox that has broad security value it seems we have to pay attention to
the assumptions. IF the virtual machine is operating properly, it can
provide a level of sandboxing and restrict session privileges for that
instance of the machine. However, the most common exploit in software
continues to be memory leakages or buffer overflows.

It seems to me that the code that can be injected through the most common
attack vector (buffer overflows) executes with full privileges of the real
hosting machine, there would be little benefit to the virtualization. Am I
missing something here?

Is there a way that the arbitrary code injected through a buffer overflow
can be constrained in the logical machine? It seems to me the VM can't
provide this protection???

KWK