Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:12:49 +0200
From: Oliver Karow <oliver.karow@....de>
To: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...re.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: n.runs, Sophos, German laws, and customer safety

Hi Steven,

even if i do not support the new anti hacker law in germany, i don't see
any important issue in the inconsistence between the n.runs advisory and
the vendors statement in respect of the new law.

The most important message for the average customer, who is not able to
understand the difference between a DoS and a code execution, is to
install latest vendor patches.

And those customers who know the difference between this two kind of
vulnerabilities, are aware of the fact that there is a high risk that a
simple DoS might become a code execution if better exploited, and should
also install latest vendor patches (or put any other preventive measure
in place).

In my mind the most important effect of the law is, that it will be
punished if someone uses or provides tools that are able to
discover/proof the existence of such vulnerabilities... but that's
another story....

Thanks,

Oliver