Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:11:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lamont Granquist <lamont@...iptkiddie.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Re: 0day: PDF pwns Windows

I was under the impression that "0day" came from the hacking/cracking
community and was synonymous with the concept of "private 0day" that has
been used in this thread.

So, a hacker/cracker would have a variety of tools at their disposal
including many exploits that were known to security professionals,
vendors, and the public for various lengths of time, but also the "0day"
exploits for which no vulnerable machines should be patched against.  As
soon as the vulnerability is published, it no longer becomes a "0day"
since even in the absence of vendor patches, admins could take actions to
audit and protect their systems.

Under this definition, "0day" exploits should be not publically disclosed
and to be pedantic should be actively being used to break into systems.
Exploits generated by the grey-hat community, not used for malicious
reasons, and published before vendor patches exist would not have gone
through the "0day" stage.  Neither would exploits generated for publically
known vulnerabilities before the vendor patches were released would be
considered "0day" since the vulnerability was publically known and again
there could be workarounds encountered by the hacker/cracker that would
prevent gaining access.

It seems that the definition of the term has morphed in the past 10+ years
though...