Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:54:11 -0400
From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger@...neretcs.com>
To: "Juergen Schmidt" <ju@...sec.de>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: RE: URI handling woes in Acrobat Reader, Netscape, Miranda, Skype

[Disclosure: I work for Microsoft. But this is my opinion, not Microsoft's]

If I click on the test link in IE 7, by itself, it does not have the vulnerability.

The applications in question are accepting abitrary input and not validating correctly.

How is that a Microsoft or Windows problem?

Don't get me wrong, I want to protect end-users as much as the next person (as does MS), but if it is the application not validating correctly, could there not be hundreds of potential characters and strings that cause input validation problems in particular circumstances, which will vary according to the application?

If Microsoft scrubs out every potential malicious character, it's bound to break lots of legitimate applications.  That would make plenty of users and developers mad.

At what point should Microsoft scrub URIs so that it hands off only "legitmate" characters "most of the time"?  How could Microsoft determine ahead of time what is and isn't legitimate characters to pass to applications they don't own?  If they block characters that affect certain applications, it might cause problems in other applications that have no problem with the character(s) in question?

What is the solution?  The easy answer is to block the % character in this particular instance...but that's just a whack-a-mole fix.

I'm asking, with genuine interest and a listening ear, what is the best long term solution you envision, to solve the larger problem?

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, CISA, MCSE: Security (2000/2003), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes@...oworld.com or roger@...neretcs.com
*Author of Windows Vista Security: Securing Vista Against Malicious Attacks (Wiley)
*http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vista-Security-Securing-Malicious/dp/0470101555