Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 23:18:38 +0200
From: Thierry Zoller <Thierry@...ler.lu>
To: "KJK::Hyperion" <hackbunny@...tpj.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re[2]: [Full-disclosure] URI handling woes in Acrobat Reader, Netscape, Miranda, Skype

Dear KJK,

KH> I repeat. Nowhere is said that ShellExecute (the default "run stuff"
KH> function) takes URLs.
Nowehere is determined that it does NOT take URLS.

You forget a consideration, an Important one in my opinion.
This is not straight forward ShellExecute(), it's a
shellexecute call to a Handler. This makes a world of difference
because you cannot tell what the handler does (at least you are not
supposed to).
I mean for example this one, the mailto: handler is defined
on my box I am writing from as :
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Programme\\The Bat!\\thebat.exe\" %1

As a thid party developer I am not supposed to know what that
application does as a third party developer I am not supposed to
collect every possible application on earth and test what stuff
I have to filter out to protect THAT application. Still with me ?

*I* think, normalistaion _in this particular case_ has to be done
by the function. Sorry my opinion.

--
http://secdev.zoller.lu
Thierry Zoller