Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:47:14 -0400
From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE@...belt-software.com>
To: <mleeds@...leeds.net>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: mac trojan in-the-wild

I don't understand why this is being brushed off as not a big deal by so
many.

No, it's not a worm, it's not a virus, it's not self-replicating.  It's
actually a pretty simple little trojan.

But this is a bit groundbreaking -- this is the first time we've seen
the professional, profit-motivated malware folks move into the Mac.

And like this is not a problem on Vista right now?  (which has similar
user messaging).

The fake codecs are a plague on Windows systems.

I'm not sure I would blow this off so quickly.  When people want their
porn, and don't know better, well... they do stupid things like install
fake codecs. And here, the Mac user is made to think this is a simple
Quicktime plug-in.

Alex Eckelberry