Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 04:42:15 -0400
From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger@...neretcs.com>
To: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Cc: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE@...belt-software.com>,
	"Gadi Evron" <ge@...uxbox.org>
Subject: RE: mac trojan in-the-wild

I included any exploit that took any end-user's interaction into the 86%
number. I included the list of exploits and what I considered a
client-side attack (versus truly remote) in the article:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/securityadviser/archives/WindowsExploitAnaly
sis.xls

It's not perfect, and may even contain a few mistakes. However, I don't
think any of the mistakes would change the overall numbers much. The
exploit chart (I listed two years of vulnerabilities, not three as I
mistakenly said earlier) lists publicly disclosed Windows
vulnerabilities by CVE number and MS number (where it exists).  I did
not care about whether it was trivial to exploit or hard to exploit.
Per a report the Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) released
recently, exploits are trending to become less trivial to exploit, but
not incredibly so. My simple analysis was a very crude, binary analysis.
If the user had to click one thing or ten things to pull off the
exploit, I called it client-side.

I mostly agree, "If I can get you to run my malicious program, it is
always game over" and not always a "security problem", but it is the
reality a computer security professional has to manage, whether we like
it or not.  And yes, I don't consider a threat where the user
intentionally installs a malicious program and supplies their root or
administrator password a huge threat, but it is a risk we have to manage
either way.

One way to manage some of the risk in an environment can be to not let
our users know root or admin passwords...or not to let them install any
unauthorized programs. Personally, I don't give as much value to end
user education as others do.  It works, but not nearly quite as well as
we wish it would.

I consider all client-side threats into my security defense
consideration. For example, if users begin installing unauthorized P2P
programs, it's part of my risk management strategy to reduce the risk
from this sort of threat, regardless of whether it is a true security
vulnerability...because it is a security threat to any environment.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, CISA, MCSE: Security (2000/2003), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes@...oworld.com or roger@...neretcs.com
*Author of Windows Vista Security: Securing Vista Against Malicious
Attacks (Wiley)
*http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vista-Security-Securing-Malicious/dp/0470
101555