Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:13:06 +0100
From: Peter Conrad <conrad@...ano.de>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Standing Up Against German Laws - Project	HayNeedle

Hi,

Am Samstag, 10. November 2007 19:53 schrieb Jan Newger:

> NO! This is totally WRONG! The only thing which is logged, in the case
> of internet connectivity, is your IP you got from the ISP. Not even
> connections are logged! This is important to understand since many
> people are misinformed this way. Read
> http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de/content/view/78/86/lang,de/#Umsetzung
>_in_Deutschland

1. That document is not quite up-to-date. I don't think there
   were any improvements in the actually passed law, though.

2. The IP is not "the only thing which is logged". Besides
   telephone and SMS/MMS connections the following is logged:
    - for internet connections (i. e. dial-in or equivalent):
       - IP number
       - connecting user (i. e. the calling phone number,
         ppp userid or equivalent)
       - Timestamp

    - for email
       - sender and recipient address of every email (logged on
         sending as well as receiving servers)
       - IP address(es) accessing a mailbox
       - timestamps for both of the above

    - for anonymizing services (!):
       - original and anonymized identifiers (e. g. IP or
         email address)
       - timestamps

So much for "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit".

Bye,
	Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany