Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:18:57 -0800
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
To: "Steve Shockley" <steve.shockley@...ckley.net>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Cryptome: NSA has real-time access to Hushmail servers

One would be required not to disclose the fact that you were served a
letter or what records you were "asked" to disclose.  Apparently, the
language of the letter is worded to make one think that cooperation is
legally required, though it looks like it is voluntary.  And even
"required" is dubious... According to the ACLU, the "gag order" portion
of the NSL provision of the Patriot Act was found to be unconstitutional
on two occasions.

But no, you couldn't be legally required to "lie."  Had Guardster
received such a letter, and they decided to comply, they would most
likely have not responded at all rather than make a public statement to
the contrary...