Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:53:15 +0200
From: Amit Klein <amit.klein@...steer.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: Amit Klein <amit.klein@...steer.com>
Subject: Update+Errata: Re: A paper by Amit Klein (Trusteer): "OpenBSD DNS
 Cache Poisoning and Multiple O/S Predictable IP ID Vulnerability"

Update+Errata for "OpenBSD DNS Cache Poisoning and Multiple O/S
Predictable IP ID Vulnerability"
(http://www.trusteer.com/docs/OpenBSD_DNS_Cache_Poisoning_and_Multiple_OS_Predictable_IP_ID_Vulnerability.pdf)

Update
******

OpenBSD
=======
Apparently the OpenBSD team changed their mind (again...) and have
now incorporated a fix for the DNS server transaction ID
predictability, and the IP ID predictability, in the OpenBSD 4.3
branch. The solution in both cases resembles that of DragonFlyBSD
and NetBSD.
It seems that OpenBSD does not plan to address the DNS resolver
transaction ID predictability though.

FreeBSD
=======
As expected, FreeBSD 7.0 was announced recently without a fix. This
was communicated beforehand by the FreeBSD team and stated in the
original paper.

DragonFlyBSD
============
DragonFlyBSD 1.12.0 is the first BSD operating system to roll out a
solution to the IPv4 issue as part of the official version.

Apple MacOS X 10.5.2, MacOS X Server 10.5.2, Darwin 9.2
(all sharing the same kernel: xnu-1228.3.13)
Apple did NOT fix the predictable IP ID issue in its products
(in Leopard 10.5.2).

IPv6
====
None of the vendors addressed the similar issues in IPv6.

Misc.
====
NetBSD has not addressed the issue in the RPC XID code.

Errata
******
The original paper mentioned that MacOS X has a particular
implementation bug wherein it always sets seed=0. However, this is
not accurate. the tmp variable changes each time ip_randomid() is
called, and thus it is not guaranteed that seed=0. Nevertheless, it
can be easily shown that seed=0 in about 50% of the key intervals.
This is because at the re-keying time, tmp has probability of around
50% to have its higher 16 bits 0.

So the Mac/Darwin platform remains particularly vulnerable.

Thanks,
-Amit
CTO, Trusteer