Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:54:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe <joe@...anta.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: RE: hacking the mitsubishi GB-50A

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, James C. Slora Jr. wrote:

>> If you read your own post you would realize that Mitsubishi
>> kept the device ipaddress prefix as 192.168.1 so only you
>> can attack yourself.
>
>> 192.168 cannot be access from the internet ;-)
>> [unless you NAT at which point its your NAT config problem]
>
> Wow, I'm glad to hear that machines with private addresses can't be
> attacked unless NAT is misconfigured. I'm also glad that we only have to
> worry about attacks coming directly from the Internet, and that our LANs
> are as safe as ever.

A security "problem" that is only a problem if security =elsewhere= has
been breached... is not a problem in and of itself. The breach of your LAN
is the problem.

If the device can only be attacked locally then it's really a non-issue.
This is why securing your LAN is of paramount importance - because once
they cross your DMZ there is no end to the number of ways you're screwed.

--
Joe Harris         Administrator - Unix Systems
Avvanta, Inc       Security Officer Abuse Contact