Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 21:43:41 +1000
From: Ken Schaefer <Ken@...penStatic.com>
To: "bugtraq@...urityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Microsot DID DISCLOSE potential Backdoor

I'm not sure the facts in evidence support the conclusions reached here (sorry, not posting inline as I don't want to address each conclusion built upon some other shaky conclusion.

>From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

======
Reporting component
The Malicious Software Removal Tool sends information to Microsoft if it detects malicious software or finds an error. The specific information that is sent to Microsoft consists of the following items: * The name of the malicious software that is detected
* The result of malicious software removal
* The operating system version
* The operating system locale
* The processor architecture
* The version number of the tool
* An indicator that notes whether the tool is being run by Microsoft Update, Windows Update, Automatic Updates, the Download Center, or from the Web site
* An anonymous GUID
* A cryptographic one-way hash (MD5) of the path and file name of each malicious software file that is removed from the computer
If apparently malicious software is found on the computer, the tool prompts you to send information to Microsoft beyond what is listed here. You are prompted in each of these instances, and this information is sent only with your consent. The additional information includes the following: * The files that are suspected to be malicious software. The tool will identify the files for you.
* A cryptographic one-way hash (MD5) of any suspicious files that are detected.
You can disable the reporting feature. For information about how to disable the reporting component and how to prevent this tool from sending information to Microsoft, click the following article umber to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

891716 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891716/) Deployment of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool in an enterprise environment
======

Either I am missing the point of J. Oquendo's post, or the conclusions I think he reaches are speculation rather that established.

Cheers
Ken