Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:15:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>
To: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio@...ti.fi>
Cc: "John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP" <bambenek.infosec@...il.com>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	funsec@...uxbox.org
Subject: Re: [funsec] facebook messages worm

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:
> It has the following mechanism according to McAfee:
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_148955.htm
>
> They use name W32/Koobface.worm and Kaspersky (Kaspersky Labs originally
> discovered this threat) uses name Net-Worm.Win32.Koobface.b.

This is going to *possibly* cause support line bottlenecks tomorrow.

This worm is somewhat similar to zlob, here is a link to a kaspersky paper
on a previous iteration of it, they call it koobface:
http://www.kaspersky.com/news?id=207575670

The worm collects spam subject lines from, and then sends the users
personal data to the following C&C:
zzzping.com

I spoke with DirectNIC last night and the Registrar Operations (reg-ops)
mailing list was updated that the domain is no longer reachable. That was
very fast response time from DirectNIC, which we appreciate.

The worm is still fast-spreading, watch the statistics as they fly:
http://www.d9.pl/system/stats.php

The facebook security team is working on this, and they are quite capable.
The security operations community has been doing analysis and
take-downs, but the worm seems to still be spreading.

All anti virus vendors have been notified, and detection (if not removal)
should be added within a few hours to a few days.

For now, while users may get infected, their information is safe (UNLESS
the worm has a secondary contact C&C which I have not verified yet).

It seems like some users may have learned not to click on links in email,
but any other medium does not compute.

         Gadi.