Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 00:32:23 -0400
From: "Memisyazici, Aras" <arasm@...edu>
To: "John Bailey" <rekkanoryo@...kanoryo.org>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
	Siim Põder <siim@...rad-teel.net>
Subject: RE: Pidgin IM Client Password Disclosure Vulnerability.

John:

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, as I tried to explain in my previous reply, my "suggestion" in obscurity as a means of securing things, was not meant as (encryption of encryption) ^ ?, rather building another barrier to make it "harder" for compromise.

IMO, a "real" solution would be to be able to deploy/install Pidgin in a fashion so that:

a) the accounts.xml file's location can be overriden (so that I can re-direct to a network shared TrueCrypt drive over an IPSEC protected pipe in a VLAN'd network :p)
b) to be able to disable the "Save Password" option and ensure it cannot be overridden by the user by default

In an institution where the authentication piece is tied into the universal PIM LDAP, as-is, the usage of your application puts us in awkward position, as it has been deemed against the policies to "store" such authentication information in the open in an easily accessible location.

Per your post on http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/PlainTextPasswords here, AFAIK there still isn't any plugin that decrypts/encrypts the saved password file either :/

Such position your team is taking, pretty much ties our hands and cripples us on spreading the good word about Pidgin: IMO one of the best chat applications out there!

Anyways, please keep up the good work and I look forward to the development of Pidgin!

Sincerely,

Aras "Russ" Memisyazici
Systems Administrator

Virginia Tech