Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:23:32 -0300
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
To: Susan Bradley <sbradcpa@...bell.net>,
	"bugtraq@...urityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
	"full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] 3rd party patch for XP for MS09-048?

Yeah, I know what it is and what it's for ;)  That was just my subtle way of trying to make a point.  To be more explicit:

1)  If you are publishing a vulnerability for which there is no patch, and for which you have no intention of making a patch for, don't tell me it's mitigated by ancient, unusable default firewall settings, and don't withhold explicit details.  Say "THERE WILL BE NO PATCH, EVER.  HERE'S EVERYTHING WE KNOW SO YOU CAN DETERMINE YOUR OWN RISK."  Also, don't say 'you can deploy firewall settings via group policy to mitigate exposure' when the firewall obviously must be accepting network connections to get the settings in the first place. If all it takes is any listening service, then you have issues.  It's like telling me that "the solution is to take the letter 'f' out of the word "solution."

2)  Think things through.  If you are going to try to boot sales of Win7 to corporate customers by providing free XP VM technology and thus play up how important XP is and how many companies still depend upon it for business critical application compatibility, don't deploy that technology in an other-than-default configuration that is subject to a DoS exploit while downplaying the extent that the exploit may be leveraged by saying that a "typical" default configuration mitigates it while choosing not to ever patch it.    Seems like simple logic points to me.