Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:57:15 +0100
From: Marco Verschuur <marco@....nl>
To: Jim Paris <jim@...n.com>
Cc: Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>, Dan Yefimov <dan@...htwave.net.ru>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: /proc filesystem allows bypassing directory permissions on Linux

Jim,

Sorry, but your 'prove' below is wrong!

You are opening the locked down file as root and passing that
fd as input to the nobody process.

So nobody is not opening /dir/file.txt (he can't because he hasn't
access to it via /dir) but root is...
Therefor the write to the fd is failing, because you're passing a
read-only file descriptor.

Try to replay your scenario in separate shells, without the use of
sudo and redirection.

Best regards,
	Marco

>>> 0700 mode from the origin, you would be right, and procfs wouldn't