Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:17:18 +0000
From: Jim Harrison <Jim@...tools.org>
To: "bugtraq@...urityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
	Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>,
	"Thor (Hammer of God" <thor@...merofgod.com>
Subject: RE: All China, All The Time

I've used Tim's block sets for awhile in my own FOAD rule, but I ended up having to adjust the policy because of the toolsets I provide to the folks that are trying to do a good day's work in those same locations.

Yes; there are plenty of good folks, computers and networks in China and other countries, but the sad fact is these countries also represent the network-sources (even if, as has been stated; not the "true" source) of the majority of attacks. My own firewall logs validate this.

How you use the lists Tim provides is a matter of personal choice according to your capabilities and priorities. If your firewall is smart enough to ignore anyone trying to bash your network or play silly buggers in the upper layers, then you may feel that an IP-based block set is overkill.  If, like so many your firewall operates primarily at L4 and below, this data may prove very valuable.

Frankly, I like that someone has taken the time to do the numbers and produce the data; even if I can't use it the way I'd prefer.

Jim