Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:44:40 +0000
From: Tim Mullen <Thor@...merofgod.com>
To: Lawrence Pingree <ntpeck@...oo.com>
Cc: "bugtraq@...urityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: All China, All The Time

If you can parse out XML, I'm sure you can script up something to "build" sets for IPTables.  However, I don't know that IPTables has the ability to "group" the individual IP ranges into "sets" as opposed to simply putting them in as line-by-line rules.

That's the beauty of ISA/TMG/UAG - the xml files build individual sets comprised of IP ranges which you can apply by themselves to whatever protocols you wants to/from whatever network sources you want.  But, regardless of the chosen platform, at least you can parse out the XML to get what you want.
The important fields are:
  <fpc4:IPFrom dt:dt="string">66.227.2.137</fpc4:IPFrom>
  <fpc4:IPTo dt:dt="string">66.227.2.144</fpc4:IPTo>
  <fpc4:Name dt:dt="string">AL1122173577-1122173584</fpc4:Name>

Where IPFrom is the beginning IP of the range, IPTo is the ending IP of the range, and "Name" is a unique name for the range itself.  I chose to have the same simply be the country code followed by the range so it could be immediately identified even if used outside of a set.

Hope that has some use for you.