Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:05:40 +0100
From: Jeroen <nowhereman@...nen.org>
To: Andrew Barkley <barkley@....net>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Circumventing Critical Security in Windows XP

Hi Andrew,

As you might not be aware, there are more of these 'flaws' in the
microsoft windows operating systems. Having admin priviliges means that
you can do anything with the system you want, for your actions to work
you need to have these rights and as suchs the flaw can only be
described as user error. You can not blame a vendor for including tools
to manage services. That would be the same as claiming that a unix root
user should not be able to do a  rm -rf /  it's up to users how stupid
they want to be, and you can't solve user ignorance with technical
solutions.
So, my conclusion is that your find is just the OS working like it
should be. Microsoft put the sc command in the OS on purpose and it is
even described and explained by ms in the books and on sites as msdn and
technet so it's not a 'secret command' of any kind, heck you could use
net stop "some service" or do far worse with the REG and registry
commands or even wmi scripting and/or powershell than disabeling
services, and all of those are usable from the commandline. So again,
your find is not an exploit in any way, shape or form and it's also not
a security threat, it's simply the OS acting like it should :)

Regards,
Jeroen