Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 12:16:00 -0700
From: Susan Bradley <sbradcpa@...bell.net>
To: MustLive <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Vulnerabilities in Dunia Soccer

If an admin who doesn't follow bugtraq doesn't know about the issue it's
not full disclosure to him.  It's like when you hear about a "known
issue" from Microsoft.   If I didn't know about it, how in the heck is
it a known issue?  Just because someone in Redmond knows about it
doesn't mean the rest of us do.

I have captcha on a blog site I run. I get folks able to bypass the
filter and post spam comments that get filtered and then a week later or
so gets deleted off and the CPU use on the site sucks.  But that could
also be the software I'm running.

Maybe I'm jaded but I'm my understanding of the risk is right, if all
they can do is bypass my spam filters and run up my CPU cycles I'm not
sure I'd call this a vulnerability.  Bug yes.  I guess I define
vulnerability more strictly in terms of actual damage, remote access,
harsh impact to the users of the site, loss of sensitive account
information, etc, more damage than just forcing me to buy beefier
hardware and wonder why I occasionally get a spam posted, but maybe I'm
wrong in my jaded patchers/risk view.

17.03.2010 - found vulnerabilities.
30.03.2010 - disclosed at my site.
31.03.2010 - informed developers.

My specific question is did you contact the admin of this particular
site ahead of time with this information.  Based on your timeline you
say you found it, you disclosed this issue on your site, then informed
developers.   Then posting here 7 days afterwards seems a bit of a short
window to give an admin time to do anything.

I'm pretty sure I have the same issue on my site but given that we're
planning to migrate off that platform soon anyway I'd probably live with
the issue and not take any action if you contacted me.  I'd thank you
and explain that while the cpu suck was a bother along with the
occasional pharma spam post getting through, I'd probably live with it
given the short time frame we plan to be on that platform.

All I'm saying is that in your timeline - disclosed at your site
http://websecurity.com.ua/4083/  and then informing Dunia Soccer, I'm
not sure is fair to the folks that run that site.  If I were that site's
admin and if I'm understanding your disclosure process correctly, I
wouldn't feel that you'd contacted me first and given me a chance to
respond is all I'm saying.