Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 20:37:50 +0530
From: "John Smith" <at-x@...e.com>
To: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>,
	"Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@...bell.net>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: DoS vulnerabilities in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera and other browsers

Just a few cents - DoS in webbrowsers doesn't fall under the category of
"vulnerabilities" rather more of "annoyances". Although I don't deny the
fact that certain DoS attacks *may lead* or *may serve as hints* to other
more serious exploits, but that's a different topic and with ASLR in the
scene, a very grey area of discussion.

Case in point: XSS can be of various kinds and most of them (I'm talking of
about 99.99%) can be attributed to the design of the web
technologies/protocols specifications (http, ajax, etc etc...you name it)
and the browsers can only do that much. Hence its not feasible for a
webbrowser to 'prevent' them without tampering the protocol or annoying you
with continuous messages about what it is doing (assuming all users have the
knowledge of how web works as much as the people on this list). So unless
you pinpoint the exact flaw (XSS or DoS) its very hard to assume whether the
browser in question actually needs a fix for it.

Best Regards,