Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:22:00 -0400
From: Aditya K Sood <0kn0ck@...niche.org>
To: Tim <tim-security@...tinelchicken.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, websecurity@...appsec.org
Subject: Re: Google Chrome: HTTP AUTH Dialog Spoofing through Realm Manipulation
 (Restated)

Hi Tim

First of all, the dialog spoofing issue still works in Google Chrome and
it has not been patched. A lot of tests have been
conducted considering different variants spoofing. I missed your paper
previously. I must say its a very good read. A similar issue about
Google URL obfuscation, which still persists because it has been
mentioned by the team itself some stuff is based on the
standards of HTTP protocol handler authentication schemes
(http://www.nice.com@...l.com). The link is as follows

Further, it has been mentioned several times that it is a legitimate
attack point used by phishers. For example:

http://code.google.com/p/browsersec/wiki/Part3#HTTP_authentication

Even this issue is not patched. May be URL protection like Mozilla is a
good practice.

Further, Mozilla has worked pretty fine after the dialog spoofing
vulnerability disclosed by Aviv Raff on below mentioned
link
:http://aviv.raffon.net/2008/01/02/YetAnotherDialogSpoofingFirefoxBasicAuthentication.aspx

We have used a well defined PHP script in this demo combining with a URL
obfuscation issue. Since spoofing aims at
manipulating the security features in user interfaces, it requires a new
model dialog for HTTP authentication that should disseminate
the realm value from domain name. Restricting, the string length of
Realm value could be a good lead here.

Kind Regards
Aditya