Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:56:58 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
To: "TBorland1@...il.com" <TBorland1@...il.com>,
	"Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
	"bugtraq@...urityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: RE: [Full-disclosure] Windows Vista/7 lpksetup dll hijack

I've tested loading a library from an application that requires admin privileges from a normal user and it will prompt for UAC if needed or fail.  I understand where the jacking takes place, but you are making it seem like you can bypass user permissions when you can't.  At least that's what I got from your OP.  IOW, even if the original app you run doesn't require UAC, if the jacked .dll requires escalated permissions, which would be just about anything interesting you could do, then it will fail (or prompt depending on how you write it).

The main point is that you've got to get people to not only connect up to your remote share, but you've got to get them to execute the file, etc.  So I'm just wondering what makes this anything more than any other "put a malicious link here to make the user execute it" or email attachment business, particularly when you say "Remote Code Execution."