Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 23:59:40 +0200
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: "Hans Wolters" <j.wolters@...amide.nl>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Saved XSS vulnerability in Internet Explorer

Hello Hans!

First, it's not a site specific hole, it's browser specific. So issue in
browser and it'll be working at any site. And I used universal PoC (suitable
for most cases). For online testing and especially for attacking purposes
you can use any working web site (e.g. google.com).

http://www.google.com/webhp?--%3E%3Cscript%3Ealert(%22XSS%22)%3C/script%3E

The idea of putting XSS code to the parameter (i.e. after '?') is to avoid
redirection in case if particular site (which is using in the attack) is
configured in such way. So using of any holes is not needed, just any
working page of any working site. The XSS code will appear in html file
saved to the disk. So on every particular site it's needed to use any
working page. And for hidden attack via iframe (on any web site) it's
possible to use any stably working site (such as google.com).

Second, this variant of attack is working (and so I'm using this example for
all affected browsers) in first hole in IE (as I wrote in 2007), in Google
Chrome (as I wrote in 2008), in Opera (as I wrote in 2008), in second hole
in IE (as I wrote recently). And in hole in Ad Muncher (which allows to
conduct this attack via any browser at all), which I found in 2006 and which
I wrote about in my article Local XSS (I mentioned a link to English version
of it in my advisory).

You also can read my articles Code Execution via XSS in Internet Explorer
(http://securityvulns.ru/Udocument911.html) and Cross-browser Code Execution
via XSS (http://securityvulns.ru/Udocument941.html), which I wrote in 2008
concerning this kind of vulnerabilities in browsers. How the attack can be
elevated from XSS to CE.

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site