Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:42:02 -0700
From: "Brandon M. Graves" <bgraves@...cer-net.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Apache suEXEC privilege elevation /
 information disclosure

I hate to come late to the party, but following all of this, it is kind of
ridiculous.

 I have to agree with those before in saying software should ship secure.
in my environment whenever we are given a new bit to add to our
infrastructure, be it a new server, new version of an OS, or new version
of a software, either A) it comes to us from those at our distribution
point pre templated to be unusable due to security, or B) we first make
it unusable by configuring every possible security setting to be as tight
as possible... After which we slowly switch off or pull back settings
until it meets the functionality required.

 It has been repeated throughout the course of this...Discussion? if whats
been going on qualifies as a discussion, that the default settings are
fine, and that it is only lazy admins who don't take the time to rtfm
that are the problems. Why is that acceptable?

Should it not be the job of the software to be as secure as possible, with
the admins/local developers having to take the time to read through the
configs to make it work in the way they need it to?

when you buy a house you don't buy it with no doors or windows, and then
have them say "well, if you want you can add doors, that will make it a
little safer, we recommend getting doors with locks, for the best possible
security.

No, You expect your house to come to you with doors and locks, and these
day's, most of the time, security systems, pre installed.

 This idea that it is OK to ship software insecure not only weakens the
security posture of the internet/intranet in general, but actually breeds
the "lazy admins" that others seem to keep pinning the problem on. If
every bit of software was shipped as a brick, instead of "just working"
with security flaws, then admins and developers alike would have to own
up to their own weaknesses and make things work while understanding what
they are doing.

Forget the professional high level development or admin level. Lets talk
about the basic user that is just trying to stumble their way through
getting something setup. There are a lot of them, and if they run
./install or ./setup on a program, and it works afterwards, that is the
end of it. Having more of those sites floating around due to ignorant
masses does not in anyway help the security posture of the world at large,
and it is a narrow mind-set that thinks that it is OK for software
developers such as apache to pass the buck onto their users.

---
Brandon Graves

--
Brandon M. Graves