Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 17:05:42 +0100
From: "Securify B.V." <lists@...urify.nl>
To: Stefan Kanthak <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: OLE DB Provider for Oracle multiple DLL side loading
 vulnerabilities

On 11-02-16 14:14, Stefan Kanthak wrote:
> "Securify B.V." <lists@...urify.nl> wrote:
>> Microsoft released MS16-014 that fixes this vulnerability.
> Such vulnerabilities can be exploited without Office or OLE
> (see "Example 7" of <http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2013/Jun/123>):
>
> [snip]
>
> Instead of a VBScript you can of course use JScript too:
>      new ActiveXObject("MSDAORA")
> Both the VBScript and JScript can be wrapped into a *.WSF instead
> of a *.VBS or *.JS.
>
> A *.HTA or *.HTM (to be opened with Internet Explorer) which contains
> the following snippet can also be used:
>
>      <OBJECT CLASSID="CLSID:E8CC4CBE-FDFF-11D0-B865-00A0C9081C1D">
>      </OBJECT>

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your insight and you are absolutely right. If I can force
*any* application in loading the affected object, that application may
be subject to DLL hijacking. Office is just an attack vector here.

The point is that a DOCX is somewhat trusted (if we ignore the whole
macro thing). If I can trick someone to open a malicious VBS/JS/HTA it
is basically game over.

In case of a DOCX I can put it on a network share. If a victim opens the
DOCX from this share, Word will use the share as the current working
directory. Thus I can put the hijacked DLL in the same share. It is even
possible to hide the DLL using file attributes or if the attacker
controls the share (Webdav, Samba) remove the DLL from the directory
listing.

With regards to Internet Explorer, the current working directory is most
of the times the user's Desktop, which makes it harder to exploit. You
need something like the Safari Carpet Bomb or have the user save the DLL
for you.

Best,

Yorick