From: steve at entrenchtech.com (Steve)
Subject: Counseling not to use Windows (was Re: Anonymous surfing my ass\!)

> The fact that 99% of Windows users are clueless is no
> reflection on Windows' actual security.

I agree.  I have some very large clients with thousands of workstations
and thousands of servers and there is no way in hell that they will
change all their workstations from Win2K to a *NIX distro based on some
security scare tactics and FUD.  Sure, new servers being put in,
depending on their use and the IT departments exerptise can be *NIX
based and many are.

Yet, with my help, they have had clueless users open malicious emails
and have the attached worm fail -- why?  Because each and every
workstation is locked down appropriately and still functions fully.
Yeah it's a lot of work, but it can be done.

Making the general statement to not use Windows shows nothing but
ignorance of the configuration options available.  Granted, if an
organization was using nothing but Win98 then yes, I would say to them
that they need to upgrade, but they can upgrade to a Windows O/S if they
want.  Hey if you don't know Windows just say so, we aren't going to
laugh at you because you have the ability to understand *nix but not the
easy point and crash Windows.  :-)  heh