From: steve at entrenchtech.com (Steve)
Subject: Counseling not to use Windows (was Re: Anonymous surfing my ass\!)

> Well, OK.  But let's say you tighten up security on NT.  Then
> you discover that all kinds of third-party (and Microsoft, for that
> matter) software doesn't work any more.

Been there done that.  You put yourself in a lab with test boxes, lock
the machine down then slowly relax things until all the apps work.
Then, when new custom apps are being developed, they get developed on
the locked down platform and with good developers, this can work.
Granted, a lot of organizations have problems with this but that why I
get paid.  :-)

> But Microsoft touts "ease of use" which lulls people into
> believing that you don't need as much skill to use or secure
> Windows as UNIX.  And that's irresponsible.

I agree.  MS has always put usability <sp?> over security.  Hopefully
things will change but I'm not holding my breath.