From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Paul Schmehl)
Subject: Counseling not to use Windows (was Re: Anonymous surfing my ass\!)

Do you then wash your hands of that client?  Or do you purport to provide them with security expertise without helping them secure their network, simply because you're opposed to the use of MS products?  Companies make stupid decisions all the time.  It's the job of security professionals to find a way to make that nework _as_secure_as_possible_ regardless of the applications they have chosen to use.

IOW, after you've gotten off your evangelist's pulpit and come down into the real world, do you simply walk away from clients that refuse to take your advice?  Or do you help them secure their network _despite_ their poor choices?

Paul Schmehl pauls@...allas.edu
Supervisor, Support Services
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member