From: listuser at mobileye.co.il (Nathan Fain)
Subject: w32.frethem.k@mm and good reading

This method of obfuscation applies If you are only protecting a static
website that doesnt deal with any security critical data (credit info,
shopping, etc.) and defacement of your site is a primary concern.
Script kiddies deface websites (with few exceptions).  Script kiddies
run OS fingerprint scan's or other scans to find their target.  Yes,
script kiddies will be quite fooled by this method.  Otherwise you are
only obfuscating your own perception of security.  IP stacks are secure
in their own right (i haven't heard of anyone gaining remote access by
exploiting the IP stack).  And this is about all you change keeping with
an older OS itself.

The idea of keeping older versions of services you required (ie Apache)
has little application as well.  It applies to the concern of stability.
   Once *proven* stable (left to your own interpretation) one should
switch to the later version.  Reason being that at some point the
developers will stop looking at code in older version all together.   So
even if you have the oldest version of apache with the latest patches
available for it, you will likely have wide vulnerabilities in functions
that are used in the code or underling libraries.  And in such a
scenario, while you might have stopped script kiddies, you have left the
door wide open for anyone determined to get in your system.

The article applies to those whose primary concern is perhaps defacement
alone