From: http-equiv at malware.com (http-equiv@...ite.com)
Subject: UPDATE: Re: REFRESH: EUDORA MAIL 5.1.1

Doug Monroe <monwel@...erhack.net> said:

> "http-equiv@...ite.com" wrote:
> >
> > Tuesday, July 23, 2002
> > Trivial silent delivery and installation of an executable on a
target
> > computer. This  can be accomplished with the default installation
of
> > the mail client Eudora  5.1.1:
> > 'allow executables in HTML content' DISABLED
> > 'use Microsoft viewer' ENABLED
> [snip]
> > Working Example:
> [snip]
> > http://www.malware.com/boodora.txt
> >
> > Notes: disable 'use Microsoft viewer'
>
> A Eudora expert I am not, but I suppose one could also change
>   HKCU/software/qualcomm/eudora/launchmanager/path#2
> from
> "c:\windows\application data\qualcomm\eudora\embedded"
>  or
> "c:\program files\qualcomm\eudora pro\embedded"
> to some other, non-default folder name.
> New folder must exist before running eudora again.
>
> And... add mhtml to "WarnExtentions#X" key values?

Doug, excellent point.

1. Yes, if you can relocate the embedded folder. Better.

2. No. adding warnings to extensions appears to be useless:

Just tested something here. Typically IE can or will open files
depending what the contents are regardless of the extension that it
is: <html> tag in a gif or some other file type should or can be
rendered by IE for what the contents are, not the extension.

New Note 25.7.02: trying that with the above demo, creating &
depositing only malware.exe and malware [no file exetension] yielded
some very interesting results.

<META http-equiv=refresh
content="1; &#13;&#10;url=file://C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Qualcomm\Eudora\Embedded\malware">

Expecting IE to spring open with the non-extension'd mhtml file fully
functional, we find that in fact it does not. We find that the
malware.exe is immediately executed.

Removing the mhtml file from the embedded folder and leaving only
malware.exe in there, the meta refresh pointing to 'malware' only [no
extension at all] appears to execute the *.exe directly -- no need
for the mhtml file at all.

Could be an anomaly with this machine, but simply send yourself the
meta refresh pointing to malware minus extension, place an executable
with the same name in the embedded folder and see if it executes.

No time right now to grind it into powder.

--
http://www.malware.com