From: ericv at cruzio.com (Eric N. Valor)
Subject: it's all about timing

I believe, depending on severity of the vulnerability, that one week should
be sufficient for at least vendor response prior to publically leaking
information about said vulnerability.  This does not mean releasing exploit
code, only general information about the vuln so that educated readers can
understand what's going on.

If no vendor responses occur, then release of information should occur.  If
there is vendor response indicating an attempt to work the issue, then more
time should of course be given (again, depending on severity of the issue).

Holes in this would include exactly *how* the vendor was contacted
(midnight messages left in the general company voicemail don't count, etc.)
and whether any follow-up attempts were made.  Also, a vanilla vendor
response to the effect of "Thank you for the information.  We'll look into
it.  Don't call us, we'll call you" is an effective NOOP.

Are we enough of an ad-hoc "authority" to attempt to determine a proper
course of action for these instances?  Codifying this (even if it's just a
"gentlemen's agreement") would most definitely be A Good Thing.
--
Eric N. Valor
ericv@...zio.com

: This Space Intentionally Left Blank :