From: chaos_magician at hushmail.com (chaos_magician@...hmail.com)
Subject: (no subject)

Matthew,

     "These people" are a phenomenon brought about by our own actions.  We have enlisted technology to such a degree in this industry that we begin to "trust" it.  Do you like trust relationships?  When it comes to my computers I dont care if its an 8-bit machine or a 64-bit machine... I dont allow trust.  Because I know who wrote the technology... humans.  Lets not forget that this is why we are in business to begin with.

We in the security industry would like to be the biggest sticks on the block.  Nothing wrong with that.  The only thing wrong with that is we have to actually swing the stick.  I think collectively we have what it takes... its just that there is a HUGE amount of apathy in the industry.  When it comes to getting ideas into technology... then you either have to write the entire thing yourself or get some corporate development team to buy off on it, and they are listening to Marketing Requirement Docs from a new generation of users who are, for the most part, clueless.  So that puts available innovative technology back about 5 years.  And fighting for that gets tiresome after a while.

It is survival of fittest.  And if Infosec from Corporate America wants to survive.. they need to become leaner and meaner to adapt to the environment.

We need to understand the general cultural reasons behind this new phenomena of the el8 types.  I could care less about their specific reasons, as they are unconcsiously part of an organic trend.

The quicker we realize this, the quicker we can let go of our egos and use *THEM* to perpetuate our existences and our own individual "ethical" crusades.

-Chaos_Magician