From: memetic-engineer at australia.edu (memetic-engineer@...tralia.edu)
Subject: Hypocrisy

Our beliefs are expressed through our behaviour, most explicitly through speech
acts (e.g. "It's going to rain tomorrow."), but they also underlay every action
we commit. When our actions reflect inconsistent beliefs we are guilty of hypocrisy.
Although unavoidable to some extent (there is simply not enough time to consciously
check each action and its consequences against every belief before executing
it), every effort should be made to avoid major inconsistencies because they
undermine our values, goals and plans. Often hypocrisy goes unnoticed because
the connections between beliefs and actions are subtle. How many of us would
denounce animal testing yet at the same time not think twice about taking medicine?
That is why we must constantly examine and re- evaluate our behaviour and the
beliefs it reflects.

This message was sent from http://australia.edu
Check out the new international site at http://australia.edu/international