From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: RE: SMB overflow attacks

On a related subject, I've been struggling for weeks to turn off port 445
completely. It's not happening. The port is bound by the System process on
both TCP and UDP, and System also binds to and listens on a port above 1024
for some unknown reason.

Turning off port 139 by disabling file and printer sharing and NetBIOS over
TCP/IP (NetBT) (remove Client for Microsoft Networks, turn off Lanman server
and RPC services or bind them to the loopback adapter) gets rid of port 139
bindings or forces the binding to a harmless interface -- and it appears
possible to disable SMB-based services, but so far I've found no way to stop
port 445 binding ... System binds to port 445 on all interfaces (0.0.0.0) no
matter what.

TCP/IP port filtering can be turned on to force TCP SYN ACK RESET in
response to any TCP SYN which should prevent any packets from reaching the
SMB service that the System process refuses to unbind from port 445.

Does anyone have any information about why System binds to a port above
1024, and what can be done, if anything, to force Windows 2000/XP/.NET
Server to stop binding to port 445 TCP and UDP?

Thanks.

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org