From: secure.bugtraq at tag.odessa.ua (Andrew G. Tereschenko)
Subject: iName/Mail.com security holes opens door to millions of e-mail accounts

iName/Mail.com security holes opens door to millions of e-mail accounts

Millions of free Internet e-mail accounts provided
by iName/MAIL.COM service are vulnerable to a major security
breach that allow to change account information
including password hint/answer as result a password too.

The breach work via special email message constaining javascript
code in html file attachment.
In case if user will open this email in web mail interface
this code will redirect user browser to evil site.
This site will redirect it back to mail.com page changing account information.
Because login session cookies are still valid, account information will be changed.

Here is a list of email domains hosted by MAIL.COM service:

--------
Mail.com, Email.com, consultant.com, europe.com, mindless.com,
earthling.net, myself.com, post.com, techie.com, usa.com,
writeme.com, 2die4.com, artlover.com, bikerider.com, catlover.com,
cliffhanger.com, cutey.com, doglover.com, gardener.com,
hot-shot.com, inorbit.com, loveable.com, mad.scientist.com,
playful.com, poetic.com, popstar.com, saintly.com, seductive.com,
soon.com, whoever.com, winning.com, witty.com, yours.com,
africamail.com, arcticmail.com, asia.com, australiamail.com,
europe.com, japan.com, samerica.com, usa.com, berlin.com,
dublin.com, london.com, madrid.com, moscowmail.com, munich.com,
nycmail.com, paris.com, rome.com, sanfranmail.com, singapore.com,
tokyo.com, accountant.com, adexec.com, allergist.com, alumnidirector.com,
archaeologist.com, chemist.com, clerk.com, columnist.com, comic.com,
consultant.com, counsellor.com, deliveryman.com, diplomats.com, doctor.com,
dr.com, engineer.com, execs.com, financier.com, geologist.com, graphic-designer.com,
hairdresser.net, insurer.com, journalist.com, lawyer.com, legislator.com
lobbyist.com, minister.com, musician.org, optician.com, pediatrician.com,
presidency.com, priest.com, programmer.net, publicist.com, realtyagent.com,
registerednurses.com, repairman.com, representative.com, rescueteam.com,
scientist.com, sociologist.com, teacher.com, techie.com, umpire.com

and possibly some others because mail.com hosting some non-free email ISP's
--------

Proof:

Sample page with a exploit available here: http://tager.org/mail.com/

You can request test email to be sent into your iName/MAIL.COM account.
Opening this test email will redirect your browser twice.
As result your account information will be changed to values known to evil site.
(You can check it by clicking on "My Account").

One of information changed is a Password Hint/Answer.
(I'm changing it to some random values to prevent
exploiting this hole by lame script kiddies)

In case if evil site will store information from all successful attempts
it will be able to easy obtain user's password by "Forgot Password" service.

A bit more technical details:
There is at least two bugs on mail.com used for this:
1. /scripts/mail/mesg.mail failed to remove script code from html attachment
2. /scripts/common/profile.cgi accept information submitted by untrusted servers.

Current advice to users:
There is no way to use this site without JavaScript.
(Mail.com is trying to get as many as possible money
from javascript Advertisement pop-ups)

As result there is only one way to protect yourself:
"Do not open any email's with attachments
until Mail.com will fix this bug"

Credit:
This bug was not originally found by me.
I would like to thank one "black hat" hacker (possibly from Russia)
who was trying to take control over my email account.

Feel free to contact me for more details,
--
Andrew G. Tereschenko
TAG Software, Research Lab