From: Paul.Tinsley at phyve.com (Paul Tinsley)
Subject: XP security hole uplddrvinfo.htm

You people amaze me.... you are too busy proving that each other suck to
just get the word out on exploits.  You should note that I never claimed
who discovered it, I honestly don't care.  I know personally I would
prefer if political agendas or conspiracy theories stay off the list.
Point is, systems are insecure, get the word out.  Pat on the back for
whoever did discover it...

 So revised version of original message:
I haven't seen much if any coverage of a rather nasty exploit in Windows
XP that was discovered by what I believe was a human on earth.  If you
would like to keep your XP boxes from being venerable to this exploit
which happens to delete whatever a properly formed link requests, delete
%windir%\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System\DFS\uplddrvinfo.htm

Thank you to Thor for posting more accurate information in reply to my
message....
Shane Hird discovered it.
You can see his post here:

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/bugtraq/2002/08/msg00224.html

And you can try a proof-of-concept here:

http://jscript.dk/2002/8/sec/xphelpdelete.html

And you can see all of the 20 publicly known unpatched vulnerabilities
in Internet Explorer here:

http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/