From: dotslash at snosoft.com (KF)
Subject: Alsasound local b0f (not an issue if not setuid root)

I noticed that it is very common in the troubleshooting of an
application that uses alsa-sound to set the setuid bit on the binary in
question. One example of this can be found in the archives of the
alsaplayer mailing list:
http://lists.tartarus.org/pipermail/alsaplayer-devel/2002-February/000656.html
and
http://lists.tartarus.org/pipermail/alsaplayer-devel/2002-February/000657.html

I spoke to the developer of alsasound and he promptly fixed the
problems. Although he does not condone the setuid bit on the alsasound
program the author noted that some users choose to set the bit.

The fixes for the above problem can be found at:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/alsaplayer/alsaplayer/app/Main.cpp.diff?r1=1.66&r2=1.67

http://alsaplayer.org/changelog.php3

Wed Sep 18 11:52:43 CEST 2002
* Code cleanups