From: SMoyer at rgare.com (Moyer, Shawn)
Subject: we should block: hushmail.com, hush.com

You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome (I think),
and on the last one, I'm afraid shutting up has never been my strong suit.

Oh, and lucky you, I'm replying to the list again! Consider yourself blessed
that I have no life. Actually since I didn't start the thread, and since
it's a relevant discussion, I see no harm at all, although I hope we're
finally done flogging this issue.

Since the less elegant answer wasn't appreciated, here's the more cerebral
response. It's been said on the list ad infinitum already, and I'm
personally sick of hearing it and sick of hearing people who don't get it --
I figure if it hasn't sunk in by now it's not gonna, but what the hell, I
like charging at windmills.

It's works like this: Free Speech is NOT free. In fact it costs a lot.
Having a forum with zero moderation and next to no rules (there are some,
but with no moderation, they're not terribly enforceable) means the noise
level will be high, sometimes unbearably so. I've seen it go through three
or four iterations since the list's inception: the initial PHC floods /
spoofs, coupla others, the real Gobbles (and the people who love him),
bizarro Gobbles (and the people who can't tell the difference),
memetic_engineer's stuff, and so forth.

Still, throughout the trolling, spamming, hat-color jihads, navel-gazing,
and flamewars there have been a LOT of gems that wouldn't have shown up
elsewhere, like Solar Eclipse's posts of late, the Snosoft v. HP threads,
things that SFOnline wouldn't let through, lots of fun sort of barroom
rambling, (plus some really funny trolls), things that you never see
anywhere else. Helluva lot more interesting to read than an advisory on
DOS'ing videoconferencing boxes, if you ask me.

That's what this list is, like it or lump it. Proposing dumping Hushmail/com
/ Hush.com is like killfiling anon.penet.fi way back when. Yes you'll remove
some noise, but also some signal. Personally I don't find losing ANY of the
signal acceptable, at any cost. I'm willing to do the work of sorting
through the rest. I think the owners of this list agree. That's why I
subscribed, why did you?

In short, use filters, don't feed the trolls, and lighten up. Moderation
(hopefully) is never going to happen, and God bless Len for it. Vulnwatch,
NT-Bugtraq, Vuln-Discuss, etc are where to go for the play-by-play; this
list for the color commentary.

--shawn