From: silvio at big.net.au (silvio@....net.au)
Subject: THREATCON --> Re: scriptkids on this list

Aplogies Mik :)

--

Does anyone think something like hints for compiler should be more
standardized in specifications or os?

I mean.. it wold be nice to have something like this in gcc standard
includes and every other compiler (as optional implementation).

#define NORETURN

#if we are in gcc and its implemented
#undef  NORETURN
#define NORETURN __attribute__((noreturn))
#endif

and then go through things like all the usage functions in your system
and change them to use it.

if this were done across the free opensource os's, i'm sure alot of
people could get involved into submitting patches, since it would be
only trivial changes.

for me.. i think noreturn is a good compiler hint.  it makes for smaller
code, and helps program analysis.  almost every binary on your system
does an exit in usage(), so these are good places to add this straight off
the bat, with the entire system thus benefitting.

I personally dont like the idea of adding attributes directly, since they
are quite gcc specific. or even using the builtin's to be honest,
but if they are macro's that can be changed easily, i say even the
builtin branch prediction and almost everything else should become
standardized as macro's, which are purely optional in implementation (but
would be with gcc!).

--
Silvio