From: sockz at email.com (sockz loves you)
Subject: bombings in bali

----- Original Message -----
From: silvio@....net.au
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:57:28 -0700
To: unix-virus@...ts.segfault.net
Subject: [Full-Disclosure] bombings in bali

> This is off-topic, but anyway..
>
> From CNN.com
>
>    Most of those killed by two explosions in the nightclub district of
>    Bali's Kuta Beach on Saturday were young tourists from Australia.
>
>    Citizens from at least 12 other countries including Bali, the UK,
>    France, Germany Sweden and the U.S. -- are also among the dead.
>
>    Investigators suspect that Islamic extremists linked to Jemaah
>    Islamiah -- a radical Islamic group with ties to al Qaeda -- might be
>    behind the attacks. The group has denied involvement.
>
> [ snip ]
> [ what the fuck is that shit?  is it always islamic groups with ties to
>   al qaeda? ]

hahah.  gotta laff at that one.  i guess its possible.  but its far more
likely to be an indonesian group.  i mean, jakata gets bombed daily just
about.  or something.  also heard something about the explosives having
been military grade or something, i cant remember where i heard that
though, so dont quote me on it.  it could be al-qaeda.  but it could also
easily be some student group trying to detract attention away from
bush's war against iraq.  or another group with similar ends, believing
that the war against terror should be finished first.  a lot of ppl feel
that way, and such a thing would surprise no-one i'm sure.

what would be interesting would be if al-qaeda started going after iraq.
would the US choose one side as an ally against they other?

>    U.S. President George W. Bush said: "I think we have to assume it is
>    al Qaeda, but we are beginning to hear reports that are more
>    definitive than that. But I wait for our own analysis... Clearly, it
>    was a deliberate attack on citizens who love freedom, citizens from
>    countries who embrace freedom."
>
> [ snip
>   assume what?  what an utterly slanderous and unappropriate statement. ]
>
>    "We are sure al Qaeda is here. The Bali bomb blasts are related to al
>    Qaeda, with the cooperation of local terrorists," the Indonesian
>    defense minister told CNN Monday.
>
> [ snip
>   al qaeda is the closest thing we have to a boogeyman more like it. ]

thats because its easier to call the enemy one thing.  if you start telling
the public how many different terrorist organisations are out there.  if
you start telling the public how regional politics works.  if you start
telling society that terrorism is a tactic used in non-conventional
warfare.  then your enemy ceases to have one definable face (in this case
the face of usama bin laden).  and people soon get lost in what they're
actually supposed to be against.  for instance, if a person supports the
war on terror, do they support the use of terror to combat terrorism?

questions like these really stump society, so the govt/media tries to
avoid them at best.  the less ppl think then the less they'll work it
out for themselves.  and this equals more support for the destruction
of what seems to be just *one* enemy.

> [ snip.
>   this is classic biased journalism.  find people who are so whacko, that
>   they'll help push forward some other story or view. ]

*agrees*
bias journalism is like the wooden tissue box of free speech :)

>    "I wouldn't be claiming that it was an attack specifically targeting
>    at Australians. I would say though that there is a pattern of
>    anti-Western behavior in so many of the terrorist attacks that have
>    occurred."
>
> [ anti west? ]

The West = nations where english is the primary language spoken and the
govts all kiss US ass.

anti-west sentiment is usually about economic imperialism (at a govt level)
and cultural imperialism (at a societal level).

> I'm not saying any of the following is indicitive of reasoning for
> the bombings, but come on, indonesia has a slurry of domestic problems.  mind
> i remind you of the .us's lack of involvment during the peace keeping
> missions, or the referrendum etc...

yeah i find it funny how the US deemed the east timor thing "not in its
regional interest" yet claims to know everything about the bombings.
bull-shit.  the CIA knows sweet jack all in comparison to regional intelligence
agencies.

> [ snip.
>   thanks to the .us who so kindly told .au to go fuck itself, when we
>   asked for assistance..  its insulting this government then, dare try to
>   push their own created boogeymen into such problems. ]

i couldn't have expressed this sentiment better myself.