From: simpletone at mbox.com.au (Mike Tone)
Subject: ABfrag / linux kernel vulns

errrrr... hmmm

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-5933.html

note:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/testing/
says that latest pre-patch is 2.4.20-pre11
(15/oct/02)

Also, how does the DMCA come into play with
reverse engineering malcode?

-----
New Linux Kernel Exploit? / ABFrag
By Daniel Roberts
Posted By: Dave Wreski
10/16/2002 21:42

Daniel Roberts discovered a binary named "ABfrag"
on one of his servers after detecting suspicious
network activity. He sent in a note requesting
anyone with information to contact him in an
effort to deciper its purpose.

From: daniel.roberts@...hmail.com
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
vuln-dev@...urityfocus.com,
incidents@...urityfocus.com, cert@...t.org,
submissions@...ketstormsecurity.org,
contribute@...uxsecurity.com
Subject: Linux Kernel Exploits / ABFrag

Greetings.
Today I had a rather strange experiance. At about
4:30 pm GMT my IDS began reporting strange TCP
behaviour on my network segment. As I was unable
to verify the cause of this behaviour I was forced
to remove the Linux box that I use a border
gateway and traffic monitor - at no small cost to
my organization - the network is yet to be
reconnected. After a reboot and preliminary
analysis I found the binary ABfrag sitting in
/tmp. It had only been created minutes before.
Setting up a small sandbox I ran the program and
was presented with the following output:

 ABfrag - Linux Kernel ( <= 2.4.20pre20 ) Remote
Syncing exploit

 Found and coded by Ac1db1tch3z - t3kn10n, n0n3
and t3kn0h03.

 WARNING:
 Unlicensed usage and/or distribution of this
program carries heavy fines
 and penalties under American, British, European
and International copyright
 law.
 Should you find this program on any compromised
system we urge you to delete
 this binary rather than attempt distribution or
analysis. Such actions would
 be both unlawful and unwise.

 password:
 invalid key

I remembered, vaguely - I sift through a lot of
security mail each day, some talk of a rumoured
Linux kernel exploit circulating among members of
the hacker underground. On the advice of some
friends in law-enforcement I joined the EFnet
channels #phrack and #darknet and tried to solicit
some information regarding this alleged exploit.
Most people publicly attacked me for my neivette
but two individuals contacted me via private
messages and informed me that the "ac1db1tch3z"
were bad news, apparently a group of older (mid
20's) security guru's, and that I should delete
the exploit and forget I ever knew it existed.
However, somthing twigged my sense of adventure
and prompted me to try and get this out to the
community.

Any help or information regarding this will be of
great help.

I have attached the binary although it appears to
be encrypted and passworded. I wish any skilled
programmers the best of luck in decyphering it.

Yours,

Daniel Roberts
Head Network Manager