From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: Please post to the list

Not an option, therefore not worth discussing.

>Nothing could be simpler: don't put anything you wouldn't mind losing
>on a box that connects to the intenet.
>
>Radical, I know--but if it works for JTF-CNA it certainly works for me.
>
>Speaking of the Devil, do you really think those delightful fellows
>employed by JTF-CNA, NSA &c. really run to tell Microsoft and other
>vendors everytime they find a hole/sidechannel/backdoor in their
>software? Do you honestly think any man jack of them spends two seconds

>concerning himself with this kind of anguished hand-wringing debate?

Do you really think the average sysadmin cares?  All this is nothing but
side-show to distract from the weakness of the blackhat argument.

>Forget it. In their world, full disclosure is irrelevant. Dead. A bad
>joke. Grow up and stop kidding yourselves.

I'm not the one kidding myself.

>The ugly truth is that some of the greatest, most technically
brilliant,
>truly ethical-after-their-own fashion blackhats are pulling paychecks
>from Ft. Meade.
>
>Ethical, because for them it's not about money.
>It's about control.
>After all, "Information is Power".
>
>They've been running rings around all you poor suckers for years.
>
>And as long as you aren't protecting your critical information
>yourself with an air gap? Content to rely on corrupt scumbag snake
>oil vendors to "protect you" as they pick your pocket and sell you
>out time and again to the highest bidder?

Do you lay awake at night to think this stuff up?  It's really comical.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
TCS Department Coordinator
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/